Friday, September 28, 2012

Focus and Concentration

This week is homecoming week! In highschool that meant that school was put on hold while every student focused on finding a date, concentrated on the homecoming game if you were an athlete, and trying to get nominated for homecoming court. Now that I am in college it feels so different. I want to geet into the homecoming spirit but I have test and essays and school stuff that was never important in highschool. I always thought that homecoming was basically a school-wide excuse to blow off work and focus on other things. Now I realize how when we reach the real world how things that are important to me may not mean anything to someone else. Keeping my focus with all of the spirit days and families coming down is more difficult than I thought it would be. I studied for a test last night and every five minutes I would get caught up in a conversation about free t-shirts or the game on saturday, all because homecoming is the only thing that the students are focused on. I just could not concentrate on any of the material that I needed to. That is why I think it is important to prioritize your focus. Focus on the things that you do not want to focus on because they are the not fun things. If tyou have to choose between focusing on getting a good start on an essay, or focusing on beating your friend at a new video game choose the one that you do not want to choose aka the essay. Concentrate on one thing at a time, I learned first hand that while studying it is nearly impossible to comprehend the material if you are trying to talk about your relationship with your girlfriend at the same time you are reading Socrates' "Allegory of the Cave". The one thing I have learned about focusing is that if you focus all your conccentration on one thing it will go by quicker, so you can have more time for other things. So today I challenge everyone to prioritize their focus and concentration.

No comments:

Post a Comment