Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pushing Myself

When most people think about setting goals they always focus on big picture. They will set a goal that takes them a year to complete and at some point throughout that year they will completely forget that they even set a goal for themselves. Most people also like to set broad goals. Something like "I want to be a better dad", or "I want to lose weight". I have learned through many different teachers of "Goal Setting" that big picture is great but to actually complete these goals it is important to take them one step at a time. I like to set daily or even weekly goals for myself. The way I see it is, if I complete my goals every week I am getting closer and closer to where I need to be as a person. Even though I am setting small goals they are the foundation for my ultimate goal. So my reason for the introduction of goal setting is to express my goals for this week. Right off the bat, so to speak, I start off my week with a football game on Monday. For my first goal of the week I would like to score two touchdowns in my game. Understanding that in college I cannot only focus on sports, my second goal is an academic goal, I would like to spend at least six hours this week studying and doing homework. For my final goal of the week I want to focus on being social, so my third goal is to introduce myself to at least three new people before the weekend. I understand that these goals may seem small to the naked eye but if I can do this every week I will have accomplished bettering myself as an athlete, as a student, and as a friend. If I choose not to try at these goals then I am failing myself in three major aspects of my life. I understand that my goals could possibly not be possible based on what happens but as long as I try I know that I am bettering myself as a person. If I am not able to achieve my goals then I must figure out what I have done wrong and set new goals the next week. Even though this may seem petty to some people setting goals for yourself can completely change your life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment